United Cavers Exploration Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is no longer in use - please visit www.ucet.org.uk for the new system.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine Empty
PostSubject: Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine   Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr 2009, 5:58 am

Directions
From Blaenau Ffestiniog, head to the power station and drive up the hill right to the highest/farthest point you can and park at the parking area immediately before the gate across the road (above Tanygrisiau)

Walk up the road until you see a footbridge over the stream on the left and take the footpath there that follows the footpath up stream. You will shortly see a steep walk upwards on the left to the spoil heaps and the adits above them in layers.

Walk up beyond all of this (and beyond the quarry plateau) of Wrsgan mine and continue past the open slate chambers of the top level of Wrysgan and follow the footpath around (and under) the face of Moel-yr-Hydd for a few hundred more metres.

You will see 3 lots of small spoil heaps (about 100 yards apart) with adits – this is the mine.

Access
Ungated. Permission requirements unknown but thought not to be required.

Suggested Equipment
Not currently known

Length
Unknown.

Flood risk
Not known but all three adits are water logged to (upto) knee depth.

Mine Attributes
Believed to be lead or gold

Description
Very little is known about this mine. In fact, there is so little known that I don’t know anything to write.

There are three adits all of which are accessible (above Wrysgan slate mine) but the distance these adits travel and what lies within is unknown suffice to say that there isn’t a great deal of spoil outside.

Unexplored Passages
All three adits remain unexplored

Digs
None Known

Links
None Known
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

PostSubject: Re: Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine   Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr 2009, 6:07 am

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 101_0815

Adit #1 (furthest from Wrysgan)

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 101_0816

Adit #2

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 101b0810

Inside Adit #2

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 101_0817

Adit #3 (closest to Wrysgan)

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 101_0818

Inside Adit #3
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

PostSubject: Re: Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine   Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 07 Sep 2009, 11:01 am

6th Sept 2009

Adit #2 has now been investigated …..

The spoil outside appears to be slate with no signs of calcite or other minerals that you would expect to find in a gold bearing mine.

The adit is flooded to a shallow level but only for around 20-30feet then it becomes dry. The adit is around 100 feet in length where it dives downwards at the end. At first glance this appears to be blind …. But it isn’t.

At the bottom of the rear dive is a crawlable hole leading off to the left. There is a significant draft coming through this hole and it appears to open out very quickly.

I did not enter on this occasion but suspect it either connects to Adit #1 or to Wrysgan slate mine which is below this adit but on the same lateral.

I could not find any evidence of anything other than slate being mined here.
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

PostSubject: Re: Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine   Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 07 Sep 2009, 11:07 am

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 100_1311

Inside adit#2

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 100_1312

Inside adit#2

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 100_1313

The rear of adit#2 where it dives down

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 100_1314

The passable hole in the bottom left corner of adit#2 at the rear

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine 100_1315

Coming out of adit#2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine   Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cwmorthin Lead/Gold Mine
Page 1 of 1