United Cavers Exploration Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is no longer in use - please visit www.ucet.org.uk for the new system.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Something for the weekend

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Johno
UCET Member
Johno

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Something for the weekend Empty
PostSubject: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 11:17 am

I was hoping to go kayaking this weekend, but with the amount of rain we have had and what is due in all the rivers will be at silly levels so anyone up for a trip this weekend, will have to be somewhere with zero flood risk looking at the weather, I am free Sat & Sun.

I don't have any plans so make a suggestion.

Back to top Go down
http://www.nw-media.co.uk
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 1:19 pm

I should be in Rhyl covered in make-up on a filming project tomorrow daytime but if it is raining it will have to be aborted (but I won't know until about 10am).

If it aborts, I will be free BUT - I am going to see "Sanctum" with woman at Cheshire Oaks (I believe Tim will be there in full caving gear cyclops ) and will need to leave around 4:30pm ish which is going to make Saturday a b!tch whatever happens.

Sunday, however, has so far presented nothing ..... It depends how far you want to go and precisely what you mean by "zero" flood risk as even the Cheshire plains can flood with a relative small but well placed Tsunami What a Face

Would you like a blustery and wet walk in the mountains along a few ridges or a somewhat safer scramble up Tryfan or a somewhat droll meander along a forest path or would you prefer to be underground safe in the large repositary of a slate mine or a small and gooey copper, lead or gold mine. Or would you prefer a cave (oh, wait - there's the water problem Cool )

Anything you have been fancing that you haven't done and could be "do-able" on Sunday ? Shocked

Ian

Back to top Go down
Suboffender
UCET Member
Suboffender

Male
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 6:44 pm

If you Fancy Tryfan on Sunday, please let me know as i would be interested. I had to cancel a trip up there today and do some Urbex instead. However, at the current time of posting..

Met office report for Sun 6th, Betws-Y-Coed

0000 Heavy Rain 10 °C SW 24 mph 47 mph Moderate
0300 Heavy Rain 9 °C SW 21 mph 41 mph Moderate
0600 Heavy Rain 10 °C SW 22 mph 42 mph Moderate
0900 Heavy Rain 10 °C SW 26 mph 51 mph Good
1200 Heavy Rain 10 °C SW 26 mph 50 mph Moderate
1500 Heavy Rain 10 °C SW 25 mph 48 mph Moderate
1800 Light Rain 11 °C SW 25 mph 47 mph Moderate
Night Heavy Rain 5 °C NNW 5 mph Moderate

Have you guys done Cae coch sulphur mine yet?

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/c/cae_coch_sulphur_mine/index.shtml

Or there is also two mines in the Ffestiniog area, that pose little to none flood risk. Fantastic SRT trips:

Bwlych y plwm and Aberglaslyn
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Feb 2011, 1:32 am

You don't need SRT for Bwlch y Plwm - you won't get into the 2nd adit now as it will be sumped to the ceiling and you can just walk in the bottom drainage adit.

Cae Coch is a spectacularly dressed mine - yes I have done it but it is a great one for Sunday. The water in there is very acidic and the lower level has a cavern full of clear red water which will turn milky red when we walk into it. The photo opportunities will be stunning .... I think it is a great idea.

Knee depth water in the lower part is the only thing to contend with.

How about it John (and anyone else) ?

(It's in Trefriw, near Conway)

Very Happy

Ian
Back to top Go down
Johno
UCET Member
Johno

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Feb 2011, 1:55 am

Sounds great to me Ian, You decide the time and I can pick you up on route if you like.
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Feb 2011, 2:04 am

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

It's not a super big mine and isn't a full day of a job ..... I suggest we meet at a pub in Trefriw which is called the Fairy Falls or the Fairy Glen (I can't remember which but it is in the centre)

I will email a quick circular to members ......

Time, I suggest 11:00am and bring a butty or two (and a camera)

John, could you pick me up at 10:15am ?

If that time doesn't suit just post here Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ian
Back to top Go down
Johno
UCET Member
Johno

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Feb 2011, 2:07 am

10:15 is fine.
Back to top Go down
Suboffender
UCET Member
Suboffender

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Feb 2011, 3:49 am

I am currently formulating a plan around the fantastic north Wales train times. I can get to Llanrwst for 10:50, it's about a 5 minute drive from Trefiw. If I could please beg, borrow, or steal a lift, I would be eternally grateful.

Whilst I will not reciprocate with sexual favours, when I am driving again in the summer, I am happy to drive as 'des' to a trip to return the favour.
Back to top Go down
Johno
UCET Member
Johno

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Feb 2011, 5:01 am

No problem Joel, I will pick you up from Llanrwst

I have PM you me mobile number just in case
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Feb 2011, 7:04 am

Peeps going so far ....

JohnO
Ian
Joel
Sammie
MarC

bounce bounce bounce

Back to top Go down
Johno
UCET Member
Johno

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeMon 07 Feb 2011, 3:29 am

Quote :
Cae Coch ... Knee depth water in the lower part is the only thing to contend with.

That is assuming you can get to it and all road leading to are not closed due to flooding and a high tide!!!
Back to top Go down
Suboffender
UCET Member
Suboffender

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitimeMon 07 Feb 2011, 4:11 am

Cheers to Marc and Johno for the driving, it wasn't an easy task yesterday. Most of the journey was spent aquaplaning, fantastic day out Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something for the weekend   Something for the weekend I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something for the weekend
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
United Cavers Exploration Team :: Club News :: Trips & Events-
Jump to: