United Cavers Exploration Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is no longer in use - please visit www.ucet.org.uk for the new system.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pwll Glas Mine

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Pwll Glas Mine Empty
PostSubject: Pwll Glas Mine   Pwll Glas Mine I_icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009, 9:35 am

Directions
At Pwll Glas (heading towards Ruthin), locate the phone box by the roadside and continue towards Ruthin for a very short distance until you see a road/public footpath on the right (heading into Eyarth house Woods). This quickly takes you across a stream/river and you need to follow the track along the riverside (having gone over the bridge) towards Ruthin as quickly as possible (the track descends downwards). The adit is at the bottom of this track, by the riverside, on the right.

Access
Adit ungated, permission requirement is unknown

Suggested Equipment
None

Length
300 feet max

Flood risk
None

Mine Attributes
It is not known what was mined here. Superbly decorated with calcite features, pure white floor, wall and ceiling decorations and superb cave pearls.

Description
Probably a trial adit rather than a mine or if it was an actual mine then the vein was somewhat limited.

The entrance to the adit is typical of any lead mine and featureless. However, as you progress, the water has brought a fantastic amount of mineral (mainly calcium) through the limestone rock which has been unmolested.

The whiteness and formation of the decorations are spectacular.

No connecting passages or shafts although there is another adit (quickly blind) on the other side of the stream/river.

Additionally, there is evidence of significant workings within a stones throw which include ruined buildings (perhaps connected with mining) and a huge amount of spoil which could not possibly have come from this adit. A mooch around revealed no other entrances and nothing is apparent on the O/S map.

Unexplored Passages
There is potential for at least one other unfound adit/mine

Digs
None known.

Links
None Known
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Pwll Glas Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pwll Glas Mine   Pwll Glas Mine I_icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009, 9:44 am

Pwll Glas Mine Hpim3010

The path running down to the stream (the adit is at the bottom on the right)

Pwll Glas Mine Hpim3011

Pwll Glas Mine Hpim3012

Pwll Glas Mine Hpim3013

Pwll Glas Mine Hpim3014

Pwll Glas Mine Hpim3015

Pwll Glas Mine Hpim3016

Pwll Glas Mine Hpim3017
Back to top Go down

Pwll Glas Mine
Page 1 of 1