United Cavers Exploration Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is no longer in use - please visit www.ucet.org.uk for the new system.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August

Go down 
+3
Mike Leahy
doug
Tim Watts
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tim Watts
Admin
Tim Watts

Male
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August Empty
PostSubject: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul 2010, 12:53 pm

I was made up to hear of Marc's recent success at getting through to the far end of OHA with some guys from NWCC. And they've left it all rigged :-)

After getting through to Sump 1 a few weeks ago, I was gutted because i was working and couldn't do the last trip.

Does anyone fancy a trip through with me on Sat, 14st August? Bear in mind that it'll be a true epic - expect a full day (and more!).

Early start i.e. 6 or 7am at Cilcain bridge. - The earlier the better really.

Last edited by Tim Watts on Wed 28 Jul 2010, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.carriag.co.uk
doug
UCET Member
doug

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul 2010, 2:39 pm

I have got a feeling that I will be at the green man festival on that weekend, ticket cost me 140 quid. No No No .
Back to top Go down
Tim Watts
Admin
Tim Watts

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul 2010, 3:43 pm

doug wrote:
I have got a feeling that I will be at the green man festival on that weekend, ticket cost me 140 quid. No No No .

Doug - i'd fooked up my dates anyway - pantmwyn show is the sat 21st which i'm tied up with. So 14th is a better day for me if you can make that instead? (I've edited original post to say 14th).
Back to top Go down
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male
Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 10:02 am

oh go on then i'll more than likelycome along for the ride
Back to top Go down
Tim Watts
Admin
Tim Watts

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 11:31 am

thats three - any more??
Back to top Go down
doug
UCET Member
doug

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 11:25 am

Dont all clamour at once. bounce
Back to top Go down
Suboffender
UCET Member
Suboffender

Male
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Aug 2010, 8:21 am

That date is fine for me. I'll come Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Earth Worm Jim
Earth Worm Jim

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Aug 2010, 11:13 am

I am otherwise entertained in another hole. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tim Watts
Admin
Tim Watts

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Aug 2010, 1:49 pm

Earth Worm Jim wrote:

I bet ours will be tighter, wetter and dirtier. lol!
Back to top Go down
Earth Worm Jim
Earth Worm Jim

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeMon 02 Aug 2010, 4:18 am

Tim Watts wrote:
Earth Worm Jim wrote:

I bet ours will be tighter, wetter and dirtier. lol!

Mmm maybe maybe not, I am going to need some sort of rubber protection for my hole snarf snarf.
Back to top Go down
Tim Watts
Admin
Tim Watts

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 5:36 pm

Update following tonight dash to the sumps.

Mike and I made a speedy dash to Sump 1 tonight - found the siphon still working (2" of air space) made the duck/swim through and moved on to Sump 2 which (as expected) needs a bit taking out of it. There was little point setting the siphon going here coz Mike Klim from NWCC told me that it'll just fill again by the time we get back to it - and in any event, it only takes 30mins to drop the level so this will make a good food/drink stop (approx 2 hours in). We turned back at this point.

4 hours round trip. (took us an amazingly short 57mins to get to sump 1 from the entry ladder!! - i've got to tell you, I was in need of oxygen trying to keep up with mike! That mans not human)!

No chest jammer, just fig8's and hand jammer without a foot loop. Free Climbing all the pitchs, Fast and Light! Well i've got to be honest - i wasn't too fast on some of it - i reckon mike could have made it in 3 hours or less there and back on his own.

Based on this we reckon a 9am start on Saturday will be early enough. I'm intending kitting up with full srt (dont know if pitchs after sump 2 can be free climbed or not) at the car park, keeping pack size to a bare minimum. Possibly food and drink in some kind of bum bag - ohh err! I've now drunk the water running down near the bottom of the main multipitch TWICE and not died yet so i'll be refilling my filter bottle here in an attempt to reduce bulk. Got to offset the bulk of my belly somehow!

Once through Sump 1 i'll take a few hand held shots and video clips as to my knowledge nothing much has been taken past the sumps - but i'll try not to slow things down too much. Bank on the round trip being in the order of 12 hours based on what Mike Klim said.

Happy days!

Back to top Go down
Johno
UCET Member
Johno

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:35 am

Did you make it or are you still down there?

can we afford another cave rescue?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nw-media.co.uk
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 12:42 pm

hi john yes we did make it (and back) must be one of the most physically demanding trips ive done . can't wait for douge's trip frport it shouly be bl00dy funny to say the least What a Face What a Face
Back to top Go down
Tim Watts
Admin
Tim Watts

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 1:06 pm

I'm just settling down to start putting together a bit of a video from the clips i took. The look on Dougs face as he's coming up from the sumps is awesome!

Fantastic trip and even better than i imagined. That cave just gets better and better! :-)

After the high speed training run on Thursday to check on the sumps (when mike almost killed me!) the full trip almost seemed easy..well maybe thats going a bit far.

Back to top Go down
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 1:10 pm

Tim Watts wrote:
I'm just settling down to start putting together a bit of a video from the clips i took. The look on Dougs face as he's coming up from the sumps is awesome!

Fantastic trip and even better than i imagined. That cave just gets better and better! :-)

After the high speed training run on Thursday to check on the sumps (when mike almost killed me!) the full trip almost seemed easy..well maybe thats going a bit far.

can't wait for the vid you got some realy good footage while we were in there bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
marc
UCET Member
marc

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Aug 2010, 5:21 am

Mike Leahy wrote:
hi john yes we did make it (and back) must be one of the most physically demanding trips ive done
Sounds like you're getting soft in your old age... Rolling Eyes

Really glad you had a great trip, well done! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://wiki.cave-clwyd.org
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Aug 2010, 1:12 pm

[quote="marc"]
Mike Leahy wrote:

Really glad you had a great trip, well done! cheers
ive always been soft especially in the head pale pale
Back to top Go down
Tim Watts
Admin
Tim Watts

Male

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 6:47 am

The videos now online - in the video section of the forum.

Next step is to take some gear down and cache it as far in as possible in order to do an extended multiday trip - dig through the far end etc and try to get up to and rig some of the out of reach passages we spotted.

I guess something like this would need to rely on someone on the "outside" nipping in and out to ensure that the sumps were kept open - although with a handline i'm sure they could be free dived in an emergency.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August   Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another OHA Trip - Sat, 14th August
Page 1 of 1