United Cavers Exploration Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is no longer in use - please visit www.ucet.org.uk for the new system.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Caving going wrong ....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Caving going wrong .... Empty
PostSubject: Caving going wrong ....   Caving going wrong .... I_icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010, 4:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Tim Watts
Admin
Tim Watts

Male
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Caving going wrong ....   Caving going wrong .... I_icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010, 6:07 pm

It was 19.2% o2 at the point you were waiting. A tad on the low side. (20.9% being the norm). Down at 16% you're getting impaired judgement, 12 or 13% you really start to struggle (die!) pretty quickly.

It's definitely worth learning from this.

Here's my understanding of the situation and where things when wrong.

As second man through the crawl I heard a message from Doug to say that the alarm was going off - Knowing that its set at 20.5 I wasn't overly concerned and shouted back for him to bring it trough to me so i could silence the alarm (I was stuck in the crawl unable to go backwards with the end of the crawl only about 2 meters in front of me at this time). At the other end of the passage i had marc asking if i was going to move forward to show me the next sump that he'd found. What i was now assuming (my mistake) was that doug was still coming through behind me bringing it with him. We shouted back that we were moving on to the sump but this communication obviously didn't come through clearly through the twists and turns of the crawl. By the time we heard the shouts from Doug, we were already heading back.

So what lessons should be learnt?

1) Well in the first instance it shows that a gas monitor is possibly a bit of kit that should be more regularly carried but also that carrying one needs to be managed in the correct way.

2) When a gas monitor is carried it should be carried by the first person - or at very least by a person in the leading group.

3) The person carrying the monitor needs to be able to use it - i.e. know how to silence the alarm and know how to interpret the readings on the display. And to know what the readings mean to make an informed decision. In a working environment any space with less than 20.7% can't be entered. However this would prevent entry to many caves and mines and obviously an informed judgement of risk needs to be made. The effects are as follows:

O2 level Effects
22 % Oxygen enriched atmosphere
20.9% Normal level – Safe for Entry (± 0.2%)
19.5% Oxygen deficient atmosphere
16% Impaired judgement and breathing
14% Rapid fatigue and faulty judgement
11% Difficult breathing and death in a few minutes

4) It was absolutely proper not to follow us in were there was concern. 2 unconscious men is 100% better than 4 unconscious men!

5) Communication.

6) Communication.

7) Communication.

Cool Oxygens for pussys! cyclops

Ohh Doug - your coat is in my landy - i'll pm u about getting it back to you.

Great video ian - the suspense was almost worth it!

I'll have a go at uploading the photos from the far side of the crawl to the knowledge bank once i've sent this!

Last edited by Tim Watts on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 7:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.carriag.co.uk
Tim Watts
Admin
Tim Watts

Male
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Caving going wrong ....   Caving going wrong .... I_icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010, 7:25 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.carriag.co.uk
Earth Worm Jim
Earth Worm Jim

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Caving going wrong ....   Caving going wrong .... I_icon_minitimeWed 14 Jul 2010, 3:48 am

Very telling video, just goes to show just how quickly O2 gets used up and just how important communication is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caving going wrong ....   Caving going wrong .... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Caving going wrong ....
Page 1 of 1