United Cavers Exploration Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is no longer in use - please visit www.ucet.org.uk for the new system.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tan Yr Ogof Caves

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Explorer

Male
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Tan Yr Ogof Caves Empty
PostSubject: Tan Yr Ogof Caves   Tan Yr Ogof Caves I_icon_minitimeWed 05 May 2010, 12:39 pm

Directions
Visible from the A55 at Llandulas and located in the rock face overlooking the expressway. You need to park off the old Abergele to Llandulas road at the corner of the rockface and take the winding footpath up to the obvious cave(s).

Access
All ungated, no known permissions required

Suggested Equipment
None

Length
Around 5 cave; the longest cave is no more than 50 metres, the others are shorter.

Flood Risk
No apparent risk of flooding.

Cave Attributes
Fossil caves, probably sea caves

Description
Cave #1
This is the “main” cave you ca see from the roadside and has a huge entrance of around 30 feet in height. There is an immediate left/right fork with the left fork being short and the right fork running into the hillside.

The left fork has a high Aven which appears to be free climbable with skill but has the benefit of some old bolts in situ to assist. It is not know where this leads.

The right fork goes to a tight squeeze at the back heading downwards (after climbing onto a uddy ledge) as well as a chamber to the left which had two avens – one very high and unreachable whilst the other is possibly free climbable again.

Cave #2
Located to the right of Cave #1 and around the side of the cliff face. This cave has a very high entrance (about 30 feet) and is large in size but quickly becomes silted with a crawl at the back in the silt (possibly an abandoned dig). There appears to be a high passage running off near the entrance when you look back on yourself but it could not be reached to explore.

Cave #3
Located just to the right of Cave #2, a similar entrance leads to a silty climb which takes you to two belly crawl passages – one leading into the hillside (unexplored) and the other takes you to cave #4

Cave #4
This is really just a grotto which looks out over Llandulas and is reached either by a scramble up the rock face or by using the internal belly crawl in cave #3

Cave #5
This is to the left of Cave#1 and is located around a hundred feet away and slightly higher up the rock face. It is short (maybe 30 feet) and heavily saturated with calcium nitrate.

Unexplored Passages
The Avens in Cave #1
The squeeze at the back of the right passage in Cave #1
The possible passage in Cave #2
The belly crawl leading into the hill in Cave #3

Digs
Possibly an abandoned one in Cave #2

Links
None Known
Back to top Go down
Suboffender
UCET Member
Suboffender

Male
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Tan Yr Ogof Caves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tan Yr Ogof Caves   Tan Yr Ogof Caves I_icon_minitimeWed 05 May 2010, 4:21 pm

Digs
Possibly an abandoned one in Cave #2

That would be mine, didn't go very far with it though. Was trying to break back into the mine, but to no avail Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Tan Yr Ogof Caves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tan Yr Ogof Caves   Tan Yr Ogof Caves I_icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 9:23 am

Tan Yr Ogof Caves Hpim0512
Back to top Go down
Jo Mc-M
Jo Mc-M

Female
Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Tan Yr Ogof Caves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tan Yr Ogof Caves   Tan Yr Ogof Caves I_icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 10:04 am

few more...

Tan Yr Ogof Caves Dscf2711

Tan Yr Ogof Caves Dscf2710

Tan Yr Ogof Caves Dscf2611
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tan Yr Ogof Caves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tan Yr Ogof Caves   Tan Yr Ogof Caves I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tan Yr Ogof Caves
Page 1 of 1