United Cavers Exploration Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is no longer in use - please visit www.ucet.org.uk for the new system.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hendre Ddu Mine

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Hendre Ddu Mine Empty
PostSubject: Hendre Ddu Mine   Hendre Ddu Mine I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 2:17 pm

Directions
A toughie to find – it is marked on the O/S map as a quarry and Levels it is located near Dinas Mawddwy, Mid-Wales. You can park right next to it but you need to drive along forest tracks (no gates).

Access
All ungated, no known permissions required

Suggested Equipment
None

Length
possibly ¾ mile in total or more

Flood Risk
There is water in the main level but no evidence it has ever been higher than 1 foot deep. There is a trial adit higher up that is flooded almost to the ceiling.

Mine Attributes
Slate

Description
Hendre Ddu is a large quarry on multiple tiers stepping up at the back end of a “V” valley. There are numerous tunnels and adits on many levels on the outside of the quarry which was used to transport the quarry material.

HOWEVER, at the front of the quarry (marked as “levels” on the O/S map) and to the right as you approach the quarry is a large adit around ½ mile (or more) in length. This adit contains a good number of chambers and a higher internal level/adit can be reached internally by scrambling up the spoil in one of the chambers.

The main adit is mineral rich with sulphur & iron as you enter although this disappears as the slate manifests.

The chambers are in poor condition which some substantial collapses.

There is an interesting tipping arrangement from the higher level with some equipment left in situ above the tipping hole which can be seen when you work your way up.

Additionally, on the upper level there is a small hole in the main adit leading into a small chamber with an internal stream of water pouring down the wall which is bright yellow with sulphur (the photos don’t do it justice) – this is a real spectacle and much better to see with your own eyes (it’s not the usual zinc/brown colour – it really is bright yellow and fantastic).

Plenty of chambers to mooch around in.

I have been unable to find any references to this mine and it may be largely forgotten about.

Unexplored Passages
One higher adit which could not be reached – it is not know where it leads.

Digs
None

Links
None Known
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

Hendre Ddu Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hendre Ddu Mine   Hendre Ddu Mine I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 2:20 pm

Hendre Ddu Mine Dscf0714

Hendre Ddu Mine Dscf0715

Hendre Ddu Mine Dscf0716

Hendre Ddu Mine Dscf0717
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

Hendre Ddu Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hendre Ddu Mine   Hendre Ddu Mine I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 2:24 pm

Hendre Ddu Mine Dscf0718

Hendre Ddu Mine Dscf0719

Hendre Ddu Mine Dscf0720

Hendre Ddu Mine Dscf0721

Hendre Ddu Mine Dscf0722
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

Hendre Ddu Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hendre Ddu Mine   Hendre Ddu Mine I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 2:29 pm

Hendre Ddu Mine 100_1413

Hendre Ddu Mine 100_1414

Hendre Ddu Mine 100_1415

Hendre Ddu Mine 100_1416
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

Hendre Ddu Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hendre Ddu Mine   Hendre Ddu Mine I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 2:32 pm

Hendre Ddu Mine 100_1417

Hendre Ddu Mine 100_1514

Hendre Ddu Mine 100_1515

Hendre Ddu Mine 100_1516
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hendre Ddu Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hendre Ddu Mine   Hendre Ddu Mine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hendre Ddu Mine
Page 1 of 1