United Cavers Exploration Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is no longer in use - please visit www.ucet.org.uk for the new system.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Llanfairfechan Mine

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Llanfairfechan Mine Empty
PostSubject: Llanfairfechan Mine   Llanfairfechan Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 31 Aug 2009, 12:11 pm

Directions
At Llanfairfechan, take the road through the village which is parallel to the A55 and follow it out of Llanfairfechan for about 1 mile.

Just before you are forced to turn on to the A55, fork left on a country road which takes a sharp left very soon. Up here is a house on another sharp left with a bridleway (unmarked) at the right hand side.

Follow the bridleway up and through the woodland (zig-zagging). Once out of the woodland, one last “zag” and you will see a sharp right turn near the brow o the hill – take this for about ΒΌ mile. You will see a large and obvious spoil heap below the footpath.

(Marked as “tip (dis)” on the O/S map)

Access
Permission requirement unknown

Suggested Equipment
None

Length
150metres approx

Flood risk
None, although a slight damming of the entrance causes a backlog of water up to shin depth for around 150 feet.

Mine Attributes
Probably a slate trial.

Description
A wide adit with a roof line of around 7 feet dropping down to around 6 feet towards the end of the drive.

This adit appears to be a trial and is driven in a totally straight line with one small recess around halfway along on the left.

It is virtually featureless but does have water intrusion on both sides around 150 feet into the mine which is the cause of the water. Beyond this point the floor is essentially dry.

There is a single iron laced formation and a few areas of calcite formation on the ceiling and walls.

A couple of areas of stacked deads and an iron hook in the wall pretty much round of the adventure.

Unexplored Passages
None

Digs
None

Links
None Known
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Llanfairfechan Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Llanfairfechan Mine   Llanfairfechan Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 31 Aug 2009, 12:21 pm

Llanfairfechan Mine 100_1129

Llanfairfechan Mine 100_1210

Llanfairfechan Mine 100_1131

Llanfairfechan Mine 100_1211

Llanfairfechan Mine 100_1212

Llanfairfechan Mine 100_1213

Llanfairfechan Mine 100_1214

Llanfairfechan Mine Entran10
Back to top Go down

Llanfairfechan Mine
Page 1 of 1