United Cavers Exploration Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is no longer in use - please visit www.ucet.org.uk for the new system.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Boulby Potash Mine

Go down 
+6
Suboffender
doug
marc
martymarty
Mike Leahy
Ian
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male
Number of posts : 1764
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 8:02 am

As requested, I have made enquiries with regards to a trip to this mine.

I have been unable to find out any details from their website as they do not make any mention of underground tours so I have emailed them to introduce us as a club and enquiry what tour facilities they are able to extend to us.

I will post again here when I receive a reply.

Members should however be aware that the mine is near Middlesborough (almost in Scotland) and is on the north East coast of Britain. This is not a 5 minute journey and the teleport system is a figment of science fiction and has not yet, in reality, been invented.

As with the Parys mountain thread, I realise I am stepping on the toes of trip organisers but again absolve myself of blame as I was barracked into it jocolor jocolor jocolor

bounce

Ian
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 5:36 am

UPDATE

Having heard nothing from my earlier request, Marty has kindly given me a different email address (same mine) to try.

I have, today, written for details of how to apply to visit the mine.

Smile

Ian
Back to top Go down
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male
Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 10:34 am

spoooooky that. douge was only winging ehm i mean talking aboit that yesterday when we were i yorkshireland , and if there was any progress , so hopfully there might be , he also rather ambitiouslyasked if anyone fancied going to SOUTH BL00DY AFRICA to do the diamond mines , any takers ?
Back to top Go down
martymarty
martymarty

Male
Number of posts : 540

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 10:43 am

Mike Leahy wrote:
spoooooky that. douge was only winging ehm i mean talking aboit that yesterday when we were i yorkshireland , and if there was any progress , so hopfully there might be , he also rather ambitiouslyasked if anyone fancied going to SOUTH BL00DY AFRICA to do the diamond mines , any takers ?
oh yes Very Happy i'll go there only problem is you have to change flights in France ... I dont do France Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 10:50 am

you don't much else either, excep teat DOUBLE chease burgers with no side salad , oh ye and buy bl00dy super bright lights to go down little mines
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 11:18 am

Mike Leahy wrote:
you don't much else either, excep teat DOUBLE chease burgers with no side salad , oh ye and buy bl00dy super bright lights to go down little mines

You forgot the fried egg on top What a Face

I would be interested in South Africa - I wasn't aware that trips even existed down diamond mines. Of course, it will all come down to logisitics as always.

As for France ... I kinda share Marty's view although if it is a means to an end then it's ok Very Happy

Ian
Back to top Go down
martymarty
martymarty

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 11:31 am

as long as i dont have to speak to anyone, or eat anything. horrible cowardly country Razz
Back to top Go down
marc
UCET Member
marc

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 1:20 pm

Isn't that Boulby potash mine supposed to be really really deep, like one of the deepest ever or something.
Back to top Go down
http://wiki.cave-clwyd.org
martymarty
martymarty

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 1:53 pm

marc wrote:
Isn't that Boulby potash mine supposed to be really really deep, like one of the deepest ever or something.
oh yes lol! linkhttp://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/mines/Boulby_780/Boulby.asp
Back to top Go down
doug
UCET Member
doug

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2009, 11:35 am

Dont anyone go to Boulby without "me", and I am sure you can get to South Africa without stoping in France, but if you have to, why not get drunk over the English channel, that should do it. Arrow Arrow Arrow
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 03 Aug 2009, 11:40 am

I have now received confirmation that we can visit the mine although the first availlable date is Weds 2nd Dec due to a long waiting list. There is a maximum party number of EIGHT and we will need to consider how we allocate the places. Additionally, I have been asked to convey the following;

CLEVELAND POTASH LIMITED
RULES AND GUIDELINES FOR VISITORS TO UNDERGROUND OPERATIONS

1) Size of visiting party must be kept to a maximum of 8 people.

2) Visitors should normally be between the ages of 16 and 65 years of age – but we can be flexible!

3) All visitors should be in general good health as travel in the mine can be strenuous.

4) All visitors will be provided with safety footwear, helmets, overalls, belts etc. - please advise sizes prior to the visit.

5) Female visitors should be aware that there are limited showering and changing facilities for them – this may restrict the number of females in a group.

6) Visitors must not take any electronic equipment such as watches or cameras underground nor must they take smoking materials or jewellery underground.

7) Visitors should be aware that the underground terrain can be rough and uneven. The environment is very hot and dust and noise will be encountered.

PLEASE REMEMBER

This is a working mine. Very occasionally visits may be cancelled at the last minute due to operational and safety reasons - but we will try our best to avoid this.

For your own safety and that of our employees, please follow the advice and instructions given to you during your visit.

I will have to book the date pretty pronto so if we can have some feedback/discussion and direction that would be super Very Happy

Ian

*edit ... we are expected to be "on site" by 10am
Back to top Go down
martymarty
martymarty

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 03 Aug 2009, 11:52 am

WHATS TO DISCUSS ?? GET IT BOOKED NOW PRONTO cheers
Back to top Go down
doug
UCET Member
doug

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeMon 03 Aug 2009, 2:22 pm

Bring it on
I can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Ian
UCET Member
Ian

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 9:00 am

The trip is now booked for Weds 2nd Dec 2009.

We will now need to arrange which 8 members are to go ........

Suggestions on how to nominate (or a direction from the chairman please) ?

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ian
Back to top Go down
Suboffender
UCET Member
Suboffender

Male
Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 11:30 am

I think that alphabetical order, starting with the letter J could be a good system
Back to top Go down
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 12:18 pm

i think poor old douge should be first on the list ( i hate seeing grown men cry ) he's been gagging to go there for YONKS (think thats the right phrase)
Back to top Go down
marc
UCET Member
marc

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 1:17 pm

From experience, I'd recommend that you take the keenest and go on a first come first served basis. Sorry but I'm not interested so you can count me out. What is 'potash' anyway. Sounds like a wacky-baccy mine to me? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 2:01 pm

. What is 'potash' anyway. Sounds like a wacky-baccy mine to me? Suspect[/quote]

no wonder douge (the old hippy or should that be"happy" ) wants to go so badly

happy times ahead "man"
Back to top Go down
martymarty
martymarty

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 2:16 pm

Mike Leahy wrote:
. What is 'potash' anyway. Sounds like a wacky-baccy mine to me? Suspect

potash is a horticultral fertilizer and I asked for this trip so you can all p!ss off cos im going first so there Razz
Back to top Go down
evan
UCET Member

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 3:23 pm

I would like to go if possible but maybe all interested people should make their interest known and than if more than 8 reply then pull names out of a hat( or john`s pants)???????????????????????????????????????????????? rendeer
Back to top Go down
marc
UCET Member
marc

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 3:39 pm

I had an idea some time ago. (Apologies if this is a topic for a new thread!...)... cherry ... I had the idea that for big trips it's worth taking say a £5 deposit from people to secure a place on the trip. That way you know for sure if they are serious about going or not. Then if they turn up on the day then they get their money back. If they cancel or don't turn up then the money goes into the club funds. Sounds fair to me and nobody really loses out in the end. king
Back to top Go down
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 4:19 pm

marks a fookin loan shark know , that spells trouble , hope the auditer does'nt see this
Back to top Go down
evan
UCET Member

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 4:36 pm

I understand that there is a need to commit but I dont feel we should hand over cash to secure a place? We are only a relatively small club and if we cant manage a trip for 8 people then we need shagging with a big stick. I still feel that if people are keen then come forwards, then if people drop out( circumstances always change and sh*t happens to the best of us) then so be it and have reserves in place?

I dont think we should over complicate things as this would increase work for the treasurer also - we are playing not working remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you taking £5 deposits for the trip to Eryrys on Thurs? - didnt think so? rendeer
Back to top Go down
marc
UCET Member
marc

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 4:47 pm

i mean only for the bigger trips. i think it's a fair idea and only really intended as a fun fund-raiser, a bit like a raffle. People dropping out on trips is a bit of a problem,- they inevitably do, and then it can be hard to fill the places at the last minute. A £5 forfeit just means that something good comes of it for the club, so it's a win-win situation for everyone and purely charitable. i hope i'm making sense now. albino
Back to top Go down
Mike Leahy
UCET Member
Mike Leahy

Male

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 5:17 pm

sence rearly come out of you at the best of times marC and this is'nt one of them im afraid sorry young man had to be said
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boulby Potash Mine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boulby Potash Mine   Boulby Potash Mine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Boulby Potash Mine
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next